Taste The Real Thing

I’m not really a fan of soft drinks in general because I’ve always thought of it as unhealthy, and I always seem to feel like drinking in between bites would just ruin my meal because it usually overpowers the flavor of my food.

So I was never really prone to ordering soft drinks, unless I’m in a fast food restaurant because it’s always part of the meal. I only drink it when there’s no other beverage nearby, and this is just how my relationship with carbonated drinks is.

But as I have discovered with relationships in general, the only stable thing is change and we’ve got to accept that. And boy was I able to accept this recent change in my relationship with soft drinks with open arms!

Yes, I hugged and kissed this wonderful change right after browsing through The Real Thing Diner’s menu. I’ve heard many things about this place, but all I really had to know was that the whole place is Coke-inspired –from the interiors to the jolly background music to the very dishes they’ve got printed on their menu. Nevertheless, of course I had to come over there and try the dishes that caught my attention at first glance to really know if it is the real thing.

Together with my food criminal of a brother, we drove to Il Terrazo in Tomas Morato with curious minds and empty stomachs. Looking through the menu I instantly knew what I wanted to order as my main dish: The Coca-Cola Baby Back Ribs and Spinach Walnut Pasta to share. As for my brother, he ordered the Spicy Sarsi Wings and the Coca-Cola BBQ Burger. For dessert, we both agreed on sharing a bowl of some really good-looking apple pie they call “Happily Appley”.


When we got our orders, that’s when I began to rediscover the great possibilities of change in my relationship with soft drinks. The Coca-Cola Baby Back Ribs was tender, and the sauce it has been marinated in has just the right kind of smoky-sweet combo I always look for in my ribs. The mashed potato it was paired up with was a good addition to the meal too.


I had a bite out of my brother’s Coca-Cola BBQ Burger and I inevitably had to take a big mouthful because the beef patty was quite big. That burger was the kind of burger I like because it had some crunchy veggies in it, and some gooey cheese. However, I couldn’t really find the taste of Coca-cola in any part of the burger patty. But hey, I wouldn’t say I didn’t like it though. It is still a good burger and I’ve got no qualms about that.

For the Spicy Sarsi Wings –now there’s no doubt that that’s what its name is supposed to be. The wings taste like they’ve been swimming in Sarsi for so long, it just tastes so sweet and tangy and oh-so-good. I could’ve just ordered this with plain white rice and I’m good to go. I think I’ll try that next time.

To end, that bowl of Happily Appley was a good call. Even if it was very savory and filling after eating full meal of sorts, I’d still eat that pie and wouldn’t have it any other way. Great thing I had my brother to share it with though, of course.

The verdict? My visit to The Real Thing Diner has been a gastronomic experience I’d like to repeat (One order or Spicy Sarsi Wings with rice, please). I may not be a fan of soft drinks, but I am a fan of diners. And this Coke-inspired diner is true to what it claims to be and more. 


http://www2.manilastandardtoday.com/insideLifestyle.htm?f=2011/may/18/lifestyle1.isx&d=2011/may/18

No comments:

Post a Comment